Social media users need to see on average ten pieces of content before checking out a brand. With an attention span of three seconds, it is important to ensure each post is striking and eye-catching. One way to ensure that is to use user-generated content.
What is user-generated content? UGCs are any content, i.e. text, videos, images, reviews, etc., that people, rather than brands, create. In an age where authenticity is more and more in demand by consumers, user-generated content is a powerful weapon that any marketer needs in their arsenal.
Why you need to use UGCs
In other words, consumers trust UGCs more than they trust brand content. Indeed, an estimated 90% of consumers say user-generated content (UGC) holds more influence over their buying decisions than promotional emails and even search engine results.
Just like reviews, UGCs act as social proof that a product or brand is worth it. When prospective clients see a product they are interested in being used by someone they trust, they have a visual endorsement of the product. Therefore, they feel more confident in buying it themselves.
Not only do UGCs act as social proof and are great to convince prospective customers to become active buyers, but they also are a great source of content to repurpose on your own social media channel. Content that influencers or happy customers produce is content that you can use on your Instagram.
UGCs tend to get higher engagement than branded content. They also confirm to a brand’s following that people are buying the product, testing it out and liking it enough to endorse it on social media. You got it, as a business, you need to consider using UGCs. If you do not believe us, here are 23 user-generated content stats that you need to know in 2020!
23 User-generated content stats you need to know in 2020
- 90% of consumers say authenticity is important when deciding which brand to like and support.
- 61% of marketers say authenticity is what makes content marketing more effective.
- Ads based on user-generated content receive four times higher click-through rate compared to average ads.
- Ads based on UGCs see a 50% drop in cost-per-click compared to average ads.
- 93% of marketers see an improvement in brand exposure through influencer marketing, which is the number one source of UGCs.
- UGCs on Instagram have a 4.5% higher conversion rate than non UGCs posts.
- 79% of people say UGCs highly impact their purchase decisions.
- 48% of marketers believe that user-generated content helps them humanize their marketing.
- 65% of people would post about a positive health or beauty experience on social media.
- More than 86% of companies use UGCs as part of their marketing strategy.
- 25% of search results for the world’s biggest brand relate to UGCs.
- 84% of consumers say they trust peer recommendations above all other sources of advertising.
- 88% of consumers trust online reviews written by other consumers as much as they trust recommendations from their personal contacts.
- 92% of consumers turn to people they know for referrals above any other source.
- 31% of consumers say advertisements that feature UGC content are more memorable than traditional ads without it.
- 60% of consumers believe UGC is the most authentic marketing content.
- Consumers are 2.4 times more likely to say user-generated content is authentic compared to brand-created content.
- 70% of the time, consumers are able to distinguish between consumer-created content and brand-created content.
- More than 30% of millennials have unfollowed a brand due to inauthentic content.
- Visitors to websites that include UGC galleries spend 90% more time on the site.
- Sites with featured UGC saw a 20% increase in return visitors.
- UGC increases conversions by 10% when included in an online purchase path.
- On video platforms like YouTube, UGC fan videos get 10 times more views than brand content.
User-generated content is a proven-way to improve brand authenticity and increase engagement as well as conversion rate. At the end of the day, as a small business, increasing website traffic and revenue and raising brand awareness is what you want. Therefore, since UGCs are very helpful in that, you should consider incorporating them in your digital marketing strategy.